Recipe: Scones from The Coffee House
The Coffee House occupies what was once Logan’s General Store in 1888 on Matjiesfontein's Main Street.
This beautifully Karoo-style eatery is just the place for a mid-morning coffee, with its variety of scones, cakes and koeksisters.
Channel the spirit of the lazy Karoo morning with our recipe for delightfully flaky scones. Serve with homemade strawberry jam, and clotted cream.
PREP: 10 MINS
COOK: 15 MINS
Yield 12-16 scones
500g cake flour
60g castor sugar
25g baking powder
90g butter (chilled and grated)
1. Heat oven to 190 Celsius.
2. Put flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl; stir mix well
3. Add grated butter and cut in with a pastry blender or rub in with your fingers, until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
4. Add milk, cream and egg and stir with a fork until dough forms. Do not over mix the dough.
5. Form dough into a ball and turn out onto a floured surface.
6. Pat into a circle.
7. Cut out with a round pastry cutter.
8. Place scones on a greased baking sheet- slightly apart.
9. Bake about 12 minutes, or until medium brown on top.
Serve scones with strawberry jam and whipped cream.